Market Umbrella is an independent nonprofit 501(c)(3), based in New Orleans, whose mission is to cultivate the field of public markets for public good. Market Umbrella has operated the Crescent City Farmers Markets (CCFM) since 1995.
Administrative & Communications Manager
Position Title: Administrative & Communications Manager
Position Type: Full Time, salaried. FLSA status: exempt.
Salary Range: $40,000-$50,000 annual salary range
Benefits: Paid holidays and Paid Time Off. Health and dental insurance (Market Umbrella funds 75%); vision, life, AD&D and short term disability insurance (Market Umbrella funds 100%). 401K retirement plan (up to 4% Market Umbrella annual match). FSA (125 plan) and HSA: eligible on the following month after a 1 month waiting period.
Market Umbrella is a 26-year-old community non-profit that operates the Crescent City Farmers Markets, provides community education related to nutrition and healthy eating, and offers a robust array of food access programs. Our work supports Southeast Louisiana foodways and culture, serves as a small business incubator and supporter of the local economy, and provides food access programs to help all New Orleanians have greater access to fresh, local foods. The Crescent City Farmers Market operates three weekly farmers markets in the New Orleans area, hosting over 60 local small farmers, fishers, and food producers, and more than 100,000 shoppers annually. In addition, Market Umbrella offers a weekly home delivery produce box. We offer a variety of SNAP education and nutrition education programs, and several food access programs including Market Mommas Club and Market Match.
General Position Description:
The Administrative & Communications Manager is a full-time staff member responsible for assisting in the daily business operations of marketumbrella.org. This position provides development and communications support for the organization. The Administrative & Communications Manager reports to the Director of Development & Communications.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
30% Oversee day-t0-day office management over the Crescent City Farmers Market and Market Umbrella.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for the organization’s business telephone line, providing resource information to community members and connecting community partners and vendors to staff.
- Support the Board of Directors with scheduling, compiling reports, etc.
- Respond to Market Umbrella general information email inbox.
- Provide IT support for staff.
- Proofreading, copy editing, and designing organizational documents.
30% Provide administrative support to business and fundraising operations of Market Umbrella.
- Order office, market, and grant-related supplies and maintain needed inventory and expense tracking.
- Enter data into the donor database (Salesforce) and generate reports as needed.
- Provide support to the Director of Development with fundraising mailings and proposals including direct mail appeals, gift acknowledgements, end of year tax receipts, and grant applications.
- Provide support to the Director of Development for fundraising event coordination and execution.
- Procure quotes for services as needed.
- Manage inventory of promotional materials, spearhead the design and sales forecasting of these materials.
- Manage the annual completion of SNAP Civil Rights training by all staff, board, and key volunteers/students, including maintaining a Certification of Completion file.
- Maintain the overall organization of the office space.
- Provide office orientation and onboarding support for new staff.
- Assist with office needs related to hurricane preparedness.
30% Provide Communications support for the organization.
- Compile and write weekly Morsel newsletter and other additional communications as needed, (e.g. pre-order market emails, assistance with drafting press releases, etc.). Ensure collateral is sent out in an efficient and timely manner.
- Serves as administrator for the organization's email marketing software account.
- Spearhead social media development and posting schedule and assist with content creation.
- Assist in development and implementation of annual organizational marketing plan and annual report with the Development Director.
- Conduct routine website maintenance and updates.
- Organize and maintain the organization's photo library.
- Regularly visit markets to take photos of in-market activity for the organization’s photo library.
- Spearhead the design development of promotional materials such as social media content, posters, flyers, etc. using Canva or similar design software
10% Other duties as assigned
At least two years relevant work experience in office management, communications/marketing or administration preferred; Spanish and/or Vietnamese language proficiency, familiarity with Salesforce database a plus. Basic HTML programming language experience preferred. Experienced with working with a wide variety of people in a professional context, deadline-oriented self-starter, detail oriented, effective written communications skills. This position is a key customer service position both externally with community stakeholders and internally with other staff, providing solutions-oriented support to all stakeholders. Staff are currently working remotely, but in the future an ability to work in an open-office environment with a highly collaborative team at least three days a week is required.
Must have reliable transportation. This position is generally a Monday through Friday, 9 am to 5 pm position, but some occasional evenings and weekends may be required. We actively encourage a diversity of applicants to apply. Market Umbrella provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, national origin, or veteran status.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references (at least one a current or former supervisor) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The Crescent City Farmers Market operates weekly year-round throughout New Orleans. The CCFM hosts nearly 60 local small farmers, fishers, and food producers, and more than 150,000 shoppers annually.