Market Umbrella is an independent nonprofit 501(c)(3), based in New Orleans, whose mission is to cultivate the field of public markets for public good. Market Umbrella has operated the Crescent City Farmers Markets (CCFM) since 1995.
Finance & Business Manager
Position Title: Finance & Business Manager
Position Type: Full Time, salaried. FLSA status: exempt. Occasional evening and weekend hours are required.
Salary: $45,000-$55,000 annual salary range
Benefits: Paid holidays and Paid Time Off. Health and dental insurance (Market Umbrella funds 75%); vision, life, AD&D and short term disability insurance (Market Umbrella funds 100%). 401K retirement plan (up to 4% Market Umbrella annual match). FSA (125 plan) and HSA: eligible the following month after a 1 month waiting period.
Market Umbrella is a 26-year-old community non-profit that operates the Crescent City Farmers Markets, provides community education related to nutrition and healthy eating, and offers a robust array of food access programs. Our work supports Southeast Louisiana foodways and culture, serves as a small business incubator and supporter of the local economy, and provides food access programs to help all New Orleanians have greater access to fresh, local foods. The Crescent City Farmers Market operates weekly farmers markets in the New Orleans area, hosting over 70 local small farmers, fishers, and food producers, and more than 100,000 shoppers annually.
General Position Description:
This full-time staff member is responsible for advancing the mission of Market Umbrella through supporting its overall development, sponsorship and financial operations. This position executes key areas of the development, finance, budgeting, human resources, and administration work of the organization. The Finance & Business Manager works with a part-time Business Coordinator and finance consultants and reports directly to the Executive Director as well as to a contract CFO.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
25% Grants Management
- Compiles and submits grant reporting.
25% Greaux the Good statewide program
- Tracks participating markets’ expenses.
- Reviews participating markets’ reports and paperwork, provides technical assistance and support.
- Submits documentation to outsource finance firm for payment of participating markets.
20% Business Operations
- Provide support on the annual audit process
- Coordinates with outsourced HR firm on HR activities (e.g., onboarding, offboarding, trainings, etc.).
- Manage staff benefits enrollment.
- Review and submit all procurement functions, contract management, invoicing and collections to contract firm.
- Coordinate and submit all employee payroll and subcontractor payment transaction information to contract CFO.
- Oversee invoicing of all farmers market vendors for their weekly market fees.
- Post job openings.
- Deposit checks.
- Coordinates with, and serves as organizational point person for, outsourced finance firm/contract CFO on finance activities.
10% Financial Reporting
- Completes monthly bank reconciliations and assists with close-outs.
- Supports all necessary business policies, procedures and accounting practices.
15% Supervise the Business Coordinator
- Ensure that market closeouts are completed and entered into QuickBooks.
- Complete market token verifications.
- Supervise credit card reconciliation reports.
- Double check that all journal entries entered by the Business Coordinator are done timely and correctly.
- Conduct performance reviews annually, or as needed.
- Ensure that the market fee payment tracker is being updated timely.
- Ensure that Marketeers Liability and Market Discrepancy spreadsheets are updated timely.
- Ensure that bank deposits are taken to the bank on a weekly basis.
- Track incentive reimbursement for programs such as Marketeers and FMNP.
5% Other Duties as Assigned
- Assuming and completing other duties and responsibilities deemed necessary by the Executive Director.
Three to five years of non-profit finance management experience required. Bachelors Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or related field, plus relevant work experience in grant administration, budgeting and cash-flow management needed. Proficiency and experience with personal computers using Microsoft (Word, Excel and Powerpoint). Quickbooks experience required. Paychex HRIS system, Salesforce and other software programs familiarity a plus. Willingness to become knowledgeable of new software products as deemed necessary by the Executive Director expected.
- Demonstrates flexibility in working in a team environment while showing patience, creativity and integrity. Clear communication and a customer service approach to internal and external partners, including staff and market vendors.
- Self-starter who is able to work with limited supervision.
- Ability to change work processes to compliment new technologies and innovations.
- High attention to detail and accuracy of work is essential.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally, electronically, and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain successful working relationships with the staff of Market Umbrella. Willingness to work irregular hours and weekends as necessary.
- A completed COVID-19 vaccination is required.
- We actively encourage a diversity of applicants to apply. Market Umbrella provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, national origin, or veteran status.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references (at least one a current or former supervisor) to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The Crescent City Farmers Market operates weekly year-round throughout New Orleans. The CCFM hosts nearly 60 local small farmers, fishers, and food producers, and more than 150,000 shoppers annually.