Position Title: Program Coordinator
Position Type: Part time. Must have availability to work evenings and/or weekend hours when needed. Outdoor market work required; markets are rain or shine.
Salary Range: $15 per hour up to 20 hours a week
About Market Umbrella:
Market Umbrella is a 25-year-old community non-profit that operates the Crescent City Farmers Markets, provides community education related to nutrition and healthy eating, and offers a robust array of food access programs. Our work supports Southeast Louisiana foodways and culture, serves as a small business incubator and supporter of the local economy, and provides food access programs to help all New Orleanians have greater access to fresh, local foods. The Crescent City Farmers Market operates weekly farmers markets in the New Orleans area, hosting over 60 local small farmers, fishers, and food producers, and more than 100,000 shoppers annually. While the pandemic has shifted the market experience, Market Umbrella has pivoted around new approaches for engaging the community, including walk-up and drive-thru markets, at-home food box delivery, and food access programming.
General Position Description:
Reporting to the Director of Programs and working in collaboration with the Program Manager, the Program Coordinator will assist with direct delivery of SNAP-Ed curriculum and activities including outreach and nutrition education. The Coordinator’s main work is implementing weekly activities in the Market, but they will also assist in evaluation efforts and outreach efforts to support Market Umbrella’s programs and mission.
Specific programs currently include: Market Match, Market Mommas Club, Farmers Market Nutrition Program, and Meet Me at the Market.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Assisting with the implementation of the Market Match SNAP incentive program and working to increase monthly SNAP transactions at all CCFMs through SNAP-Education activities in the market such as market tours, cooking demonstrations, recipes, tastings, budgeting and storage tips.
- Preparing activity supplies and equipment, merchandise for distribution, signage and other materials required for program implementation.
- Performing physical set-up and break-down of tables, tents, and signage on activity dates (rain or shine)
- Successfully staffing in-person activities, welcoming new and current customers to market, encouraging shoppers to participate in programmatic activities, and collaborating with community partners, volunteers, and interns. Must provide excellent, personable, and informative customer service to partners and participants
- Assisting with community outreach to raise awareness of Market Umbrella programs and social benefit currencies (FMNP, SNAP & MMC) and other incentive programs for targeted populations (Seniors, WIC, Youth and Families) at the market which can include explaining incentives, tabling events, distributing and collecting yard signs, flyering, etc.
- Collecting formal and informal feedback from shoppers and partners in the market during all activities.
- Staffing CCFM market operations as needed. Markets are held outdoors year-round and are rain or shine
- Assuming and completing other duties and responsibilities deemed necessary by the Director of Programs and Executive Director
College degree, current student, or relevant work experience required. Highly organized self-starter with attention to detail, demonstrated customer service skills and excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills. Familiarity with or enthusiasm for food access, nutrition program education, and/or working with vulnerable populations is a plus. Program implementation and community outreach experience is preferred.
Willingness to wear a work uniform and dress appropriately for the weather while serving as an ambassador of Market Umbrella. Masking is currently required at markets for all staff. Ability to lift 40+ pounds repeatedly ,throughout varying weather, and in good humor.
Staff are currently working remotely for administrative tasks, but in the future an ability to work in an open-office environment with a highly collaborative team is required. Must have vehicular transportation and valid driver’s license to transport market equipment and supplies. Market times (including setup and breakdown) are currently Tuesdays Uptown from 6am-12:30pm, Thursdays in Mid-City from 1pm-7:30pm and Sunday in City Park from 6am-12:30pm.
We actively encourage a diversity of applicants to apply. Market Umbrella provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, national origin, or veteran status.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references (at least one a current or former supervisor) firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.